1. How long have you lived in the Bay Area?
I was born outside of Chicago. My Dad transferred to the Bay Area in 1962. We had a short stint down in LA then moved back here. The Bay Area is definitely my home.
2. What is your fondest childhood memory?
Getting my driver’s license on my 16th birthday and then driving myself to the airport to fly solo in an airplane. I got my pilot’s license when I was 17. I don’t currently fly due to time constraints but I still love planes (in fact, I love anything with wheels and wings!). Right now I drive a Suburban for practicality but a man can dream.
3. What subject(s) did you study at College?
Mainly Accounting and Business classes at West Valley, Santa Clara. The most unusual and interesting class I took was a study on the Holocaust.
4. What was your first job?
Working for my father installing air conditioners. I was 8 and he actually paid me for my time. After College I went into public accounting with a local firm and found my vocation.
5. Who has been the most influential person to you in your career?
Definitely my father.
6. How has your career created value in your life?
I enjoy helping people and solving problems. Often accounting can be a complex process for people and I enjoy helping in that area. I also enjoy helping people understand why they are not making money in their business and then helping them figure out what to do about it.
7. What do you consider to be the most significant world event that has occurred during your lifetime?
Putting a man on the moon. I was just a kid at the time but it fascinated me. I kept paper clippings of the event and dreamed about what it would be like to fly through space and land on the moon.
8. What is your most memorable travel experience?
When my father and I flew a small plane from the Bay Area to Canada to go fly-fishing. It took almost a day to get there but we loved it. We’ve been back a few times.
9. What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you?
I don’t know where start with this one! I’m sure my wife will have a few stories. At RLA we try to make every day fun.
10. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
I’m proud of what our firm has accomplished in a short period of time. We have so much more we can be doing and I know that we will accomplish it. We work really hard to take really good care of our clients and the referrals that we get as a result encourage us to keep taking care of our clients.
11. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to take walks with my wife around the Bay Area. I have a close family and we enjoy family dinners in our backyard. I also serve at church, restore cars and fly fish.
12. If you could possess one super-human power, what would it be?
Probably the ability to fly (although I try to accomplish this in a plane!)